Thursday, January 14, 2010

CrossFit Total...

The CrossFit Total is the sum of the best of three attempts at the squat, the press, and the deadlift, the three most effective lifts in existence for developing and testing functional strength.


WOD

CROSSFIT TOTAL

Combined Total of a 1 rep max of the following 3 lifts


BACK SQUAT

STRICT PRESS

DEADLIFT

Score the 1 rep max for each of the 3 lifts. Add the 3 high scores to determine your CrossFit Total.


Okay - so this isn't a metcon workout but is is great to see where my work has paid off and where I have a lot of work to do. i admit it - I have a LOT of work to do everywhere still but I have had some improvements.

I did the Crossfit Total in December - about 2 months of doing CrossFit and 1 month of going regularly.

Back Squat - I did 125lbs without too much of a problem - it was tough. We start with the bar racked on the stand. To take 125lb across the back of your neck/shoulders - it feels like a lot. Then squat and stand back up. I attempted 135 and needed help getting up so that didn't count. I should have attempted 130 as I probably could have done it but we said 125 was my max which was the same as December 1st. No Improvement...Well - it was a bit easier. :)

Strict Press - This on makes me smile. I am 100lbs to 150lbs behind people on the back squat and the deadlift but I match a lot of people on this. Guess these shoulders of mine are strong. I did 70lbs today and that was struggling. It wasn't pretty but I got it up. You can't use any jump or momentum to get the bar in the air. It is getting the bar overhead with straight force. Tough. I improved 5lbs since December 1st.

Dead Lift - some people deadlift small houses. It's incredible to see the people at the gym and the plates they have on their bar. Today I watched someone do 405 and he did it. Wow. I did 170lbs. That is 10lbs better than December 1st. I was pleased. I even budged 175lbs but couldn't get it off the ground. Maybe next time.

So my CrossFit Total was 365. That is 20points/pounds better than the last time!!


After that I had to rush to get to Oakville to meet the running group for some FUN hills. It was a beautiful night out- great temperature - almost balmy (haha). I did 4 hills which is great as last week I missed them so I am not too far out of the loop. I am not fast but I do feel stronger running the hills and I know the CrossFit work has really helped. Oh and I'm lugging 20lbs less up those hills - I am sure that is making a difference too. Another 20lbs needs to come up but it will in time.

So - that was my Thursday workout. Tomorrow...looking forward to Crossfit and prepping for the 22K run on Saturday. Bring on Valley Inn Road!

No comments:

Post a Comment